Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spray Paint Magic

I am OBSESSED with spray paint. It's life changing! For 3.99 you get this magic can that, with the press of a button, takes an ugly enamel candlestick and makes it a slick black. I've been eyeing a pair of candlesticks by Roseanna, Inc. at the bakery, but never wanted to drop the dough on them. Now I don't have to! With the magic of spray paint and the miracle of Goodwill, I can have something nearly, if not more, as cool.

Also, with my matron of honor duties (I actually have no duties at this point, but I like to pretend that I do), I have been perusing many bridal blogs, such as Style Me Pretty, where I've been inspired by the DIY-ness of many brides. I wish that I had known about SMP when I was planning my wedding! It could have been a lot of fun to try to incorporate some of those ideas into things. This also influenced my spray paint frenzy... I love the idea of slightly mismatched vessels of flowers on the tables-- all tied together with color (ie. white) but with different shapes. Actually, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the 5 billion spray painted thrift store vases I now own.

I started with a trip to Goodwill, where I found a plethora of glass goods for about $20.

Pretty unexciting stuff, no? Note the beauty of that candlestick (?) on the right. All kidding aside, I wonder if the two vases second from the left aren't actually Waterford-- they feel like crystal to me, but I'm not an expert (yet) on these things. They only cost $2 a piece, so I didn't feel bad about spray painting them. I also hit up the "Out of the Closet" thrift shop, where I found an entire case of cool diamond-pattern glass vases (I can imagine that they used to sit on the tables at an Italian restaurant. Like Pizza Hut, with my luck). Even I could realize that buying 12 of these was overkill, so I bought 4. I've painted one flat black, and I have other plans for the other 3 (which you will find out about in due time, Dear Reader).

Take a look at how things turned out:



Look at that ugly candlestick! How awesome is it NOW?? They're other pictures of it with an actual candle on it. I decided that the best way to highlight my new objets d'art would be with flowers, so I bought some beautiful baby ranunculus at the farmers market this morning.

Chandler, helpful as always. I spent the REST of my morning chasing him down as he stole ranunculus buds and hid them under the bed.

I'm off now to go earn some more moo-la to pay for my spray paint addiction. Tootles!

No comments:

Post a Comment