Monday, January 25, 2010

The Find, quite a find.

Santa Claus brought me a Barnes and Noble gift card in my stocking this year. I had a long list of novels to buy with it, but instead I snagged a copy of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. I've been slowly peeking at it for a couple of days, and finally finished it last night. Trés inspiring! I wish I had shopped at Housing Works when I lived in NYC. I passed by one everyday on my way to the subway, too.

When I moved into my first apartment in New York, I was wildly excited by the possibility of OWNING FURNITURE. You see, I come from a long, long line of nesters. My husband, on the other hand, is a gypsy. Anywho. When I moved into the apartment, I had no furniture save a bed and a dresser, but it never occurred to me to go thrift store shopping. What a loss! I have very lovely furniture, but every now and then I wished that I didn't have a matching dining table and chairs, for example. They're lovely, but I love the old table and mismatched chairs look (a la Monica and Rachel's apartment in Friends). Now I want to go to thrift stores and flea markets and buy chairs I can paint and reupholster (Printing By Hand by Lena Corwin has a very cool project about hand printing a dining chair seat cushion.). I have no room for any of this, and it would be an awful shame if my husband divorced me after only 9 months of sweet marriage because I bought more junque that had to one day be loaded onto a moving truck. So for now, I daydream and stick to perusing The Find. But he should be warned: if I find a china cabinet that I can paint black and wallpaper the inside, I'm buying that sucker.


image is from Amazon.com. Click here to find The Find on amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment