Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Lost Art of Letter Writing

Also known as, The Bride has a million thank you notes to write...

Miles and I recently celebrated the all-important milestone of FINISHING OUR WEDDING THANK YOU NOTES. It can only be expressed in all caps, ladies and gentlemen, because it was a BIG deal. We wrote hundreds of them. It felt like millions.

When we (I) first started writing them, I was using imprintable cards by Snow and Graham. Snow and Graham makes really beautiful cards, and I could print them up as I went along. After the honeymoon, however, I started making my own stationary using plain cards and envelopes from Paper Source. What started as a procrastination tool (oooh, I can't write any more notes today because I need to make more, ooooh) turned into a really satisfying hobby. I think thank you notes should be as personal as possible, and what better way to do that than to hand make each card? No two were alike. Once I got rolling I made some for Mama, too (she thought I was being thoughtful, but really, I was just procrastinating). Take a look:


I printed out my name on the bottom using the Mac Pages program and my Canon printer. Then, I added stamps from Paper Source along the sides. Later on, I discovered heat embossing; I really wish I figured that out earlier. You use a slow drying ink, sprinkle embossing powder on it, then heat up using this thingy that looks like the love child of a hairdryer and a chopstick. The heat raises the ink up from the page, giving it nice dimension. I also bought a desk embosser and embossing plates at P.S.-- one plate had my new monogram (RHK) and the other had a swirly design that I used around the edges. I'll put up pictures of that one later.

Here's the latest incarnation of my stationary craze:


I love this little bird. I call him Martin. Doesn't he look like a Martin?

No comments:

Post a Comment