Thursday, January 21, 2010

Christmas presents


To liven up this page a bit, here are some pictures from some of my Christmas undertakings. Whether they liked it or not, most family members got something from the "Sparrow" collection from this elf.





My sister-in-law Cheyenne got the coolest present in my humble opinion, but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it before I mailed it! Grr. I hand-printed 2 pieces of canvas fabric, then made a reversible tote bag. The top picture is of one of the fabric pieces. In this picture it looks like a dirty black, but I have witnesses (1 husband and 2 cats) who can attest to the fact that it is actually a quite cool plum color. I would be remiss (and probably in trouble with the law) if I didn't mention that the pattern for the stamp I used came from Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin. I am in love with this book. Many thanks to Heather at Graze Organic for bringing this book to my attention. More on that later.

this set of placemats and napkins was for Moogie. The fabric for the mats is "Birdsong" by Alexander Henry. They're reversible; the flip side is a plain red linen/cotton blend. The napkins are a linen/cotton blend with a handmade bias tape edging (fabric: Chocolate Lollipop by Anna Maria for Free Spirit. That's a mouthful.). I am relatively new to the sewing world, and unfortunately for Moogie (Moogie is my wonderful mother-in-law, on the off chance that someone I am not related to ever reads this), this is one of the first projects I undertook with my new machine. If she looks closely, she will probably notice that a) very few seams are straight, and b) there is cat hair sewn into the seams. Whoops. But I think from a distance, the placemats and napkins look pretty darn cute. I kind of wanted to keep them, but Christmas was fast approaching and I didn't have time to make her anything else!










this is Chandler, being helpful as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment